Protecting Your Privacy
Why do we collect, use, and disclose personal information about you?
We collect, use and disclose personal information (including to and from our affiliates and / or subsidiaries, referring organizations and / or third party providers / suppliers) for the following purposes:
- Establish your identity
- Understand and assess your needs and eligibility for products and services
- Analyze, assess, underwrite and reinsure risk
- Facilitate payment of your premiums through credit card or through bank, payroll, or pension deductions
- Investigate and settle claims
- Protect you and us from error, fraud, and illegal activity
- Communicate with you
- Ensure quality assurance
- Establish and maintain responsible commercial relations with you
- Develop, enhance, market, or provide products and services
- Analyze business results and to report to appropriate regulatory or industry entities
- Marketing and promotions, including but not limited to sweepstakes, contests, and online targeted advertising
- Compile statistics, conduct market research in accordance with prudent practices
- Comply with the law or requests of law enforcement officers or regulators
- Provide ongoing service
- Survey your customer and claims experiences and satisfaction; and
- Your personal information may be collected, used or disclosed for other purposes with your consent or as permitted or required by law
What personal information do we collect?
We obtain most of your personal information directly from you. However, we may need to collect information from other sources. We will only collect information pertinent to the appropriate purpose. The personal information we collect includes:
- Name, address, telephone numbers, fax numbers, or e-mail address
- Birth date, gender, marital status
- Driving record, including moving traffic violations and convictions
- Medical and health information
- Details about your automobile, such as make, model, value
- Details about your home and its contents, such as its size and value
- Previous insurance and claims history
- Employment information
- Banking information, credit card information, credit history, and payment records
- Customer and claims experience and satisfaction; and
- Such other information we may collect with your consent or as permitted or required by law
How do we collect your information?
a. We may collect information from the following sources:
- When you provide the information to us directly, whether through a website, to a sales or customer service representative when you inquire about a quote, on a form or contest entry ballot, or otherwise
- You, or any person authorized by you, on applications for insurance or service products, or other forms filled out in person or through telephone, email, or online
- Government, industry and other entities authorized by law that have information on your claims history or pertinent to an application for insurance
- Consumer reporting agencies
- Your continued interaction with us, such as payment history or claims settlement; or
- Reputable, third party market research agencies who conduct customer and claims satisfaction surveys on our behalf
- We may verify your personal information, or obtain additional personal information about you by checking with government agencies, credit bureaus, motor vehicle agencies, and other authorized fact collecting and verifying entities
b. Automated Information Collection
We collect some information automatically when you visit our websites. This may include information such as the type of Internet browser or computer operating system you are using, your IP address, and the domain name of the website from which you linked to the website. We use this automatically-collected information to improve our website, to enhance user experience, to target the content and advertising we deliver to you, and to improve upon the services we provide.
c. Social Media
We may offer you the opportunity to engage with us through third-party social networking websites, plug-ins and applications. Through these platforms, you may allow us to access information associated with your social media account. We may use this information to confirm your identity and to personalize your experience on our Website.
With whom do we share information about you?
We may share information with the following.
- Any person authorized by you
- Any person required or permitted by law to have access to your personal information
- Any person as is necessary to meet our legal, regulatory, insurance, audit, processing and security requirements or to protect our reasonable business interests
- Intermediaries, such as authorized providers of claims history or motor vehicle abstracts to insurers
- Applicable motor vehicle registries and driver license authorities
- Other insurers, agents or brokers, as necessary
- Professionals, such as lawyers, doctors or adjusters working with or retained by us
- Credit and financial organizations
- Credit card issuers and processors; and
- Industry data collection agencies for the purpose of analyzing business results
- If you are a member of an organization that participates in one of our home and auto insurance sponsorship programs, we may share certain personal information with your sponsor organization to confirm your membership and eligibility and maintain current lists of your sponsor group
When we share personal information with third parties, we provide only that information that is required in the circumstances and we take reasonable contractual or other measures to protect your personal information.
How may you give your consent?
There are many ways you can give consent. Consent can be express, for example, in writing on a form you may sign describing the intended uses and disclosure of personal information, verbally, or through electronic means. Alternatively, where permitted by law, your consent may be implied through an action you've taken or when you continue to use a product or service after we've notified you of a change with respect to your personal information and you have not withdrawn your consent, such as by using an “opt out” option provided, if any. You may indicate your consent by the following.
- Providing your personal information to us for the purposes of acquiring an insurance related product or service, including information previously provided to us
- Your express consent or acknowledgement contained, for example, within a written, verbal, or electronic application process
- Your express consent solicited by us for a specific purpose
- Your consent given through your authorized representative such as your legal guardian, agent, or holder of power of attorney
May you withdraw your consent for us to collect, use and disclose your information?
We may contact you on behalf of us or our affiliates to offer other insurance products and services through direct mail, telephone, or other means. If you would rather not receive such information, please use the contact information below to let us know.
How can I change my online communication and advertising preferences?
You may request to receive marketing communications from us by email. You may also receive emails from us if you are an existing or former client, or have made a recent inquiry. You may opt out of such communications at any time. Please be aware that, even if you have opted out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still contact you for transactional purposes such as providing updates to your policy, customer service responses or other policy-related communications. To opt out of marketing communications any time, please contact us or use the “unsubscribe” function found in the footer of all email marketing communications, or contact our Privacy Officer at the address or telephone number listed below.
b. Online Advertising
How long will we retain your personal information?
We will retain your personal information only as long as necessary to satisfy legal or business obligations, including reasonable business record-keeping obligations. The length of time we keep your information depends on the product or service and the nature of the personal information. We have retention standards that meet customer service, legal, and regulatory needs. When the information is no longer required, we securely destroy it or convert it to an anonymous form.
How do we keep your personal information accurate and secure?
We take reasonable steps to ensure the information in our records is correct and up to date, however we rely on you to tell us when your personal information changes.
As part of our effort to keep your personal information secure, we limit access to your personal information and store it securely using a variety of physical, technological, and organizational safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Depending on the nature of the information, it may be stored in the branch you deal with, in various secure computer systems, or in archives in various locations across Canada.
Authorized employees, agents and mandataries who require access to your personal information in order to fulfil their job requirements will have access to your personal information.
Do you have the right to request access to your personal information?
Yes, you have the right to request access or correction of your personal information that we have in our possession or control. To request access or correction of your personal information, please make your request in writing to our Privacy Officer, being as specific as possible as to which personal information you are requesting. We will advise you if for some reason we cannot respond right away. We may charge you a reasonable fee for providing access to your personal information, but only after first advising you of the approximate cost.
What if you have a question or concern about your privacy?
Effective Date: September 2017.
* Johnson Inc. is a part of RSA Canada. RSA Canada includes: The Johnson Corporation, Unifund Assurance Company, Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada (www.rsagroup.ca), RSA Travel Insurance Inc. (www.rsatravelinsurance.ca) which operates as RSA Travel Insurance Agency in British Columbia, Canadian Northern Shield Insurance Company (www.cns.ca), Western Assurance Company (www.westernassurance.ca), Ascentus Insurance Ltd., and Quebec Assurance Company. In certain locations Johnson Inc. operates under various trade names and styles that it owns, including, Johnson Insurance, Johnson Assurance, Johnson Insurance Services, Flewwelling Insurance, Bradley's Insurance - Home and Auto, Morgex Insurance, Haber Blain Insurance, Crain & Schooley Insurance, Crain & Schooley Financial, JB Insurance Services, Pratt, Lambert & Brown Home and Auto, Johnson Specialty Kanata, Broker Title Services and Meyer’s Insurance . Under licence from the owner of the brand name, Johnson also operates under the trade name and style, "Servus Insurance Services - Home and Auto".